miércoles, 30 de noviembre de 2016

Reseña: This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection

+Reto Popsugar #28. Escrito por un comediante+


This Time Together: Laughter and Reflection 

by  

Carol Burnett

288 pages
Published April 6th 2010 by Crown Archetype (first published 2010)
ISBN: 0307461203 (ISBN13: 9780307461209)
Edition Language:English

BLURB: Carol Burnett is one of the most beloved and revered actresses and performers in America. The Carol Burnett Show was seen each week by millions of adoring fans and won twenty-five Emmys in its remarkable eleven-year run. Now, in This Time Together, Carol really lets her hair down and tells one funny or touching or memorable story after another – reading it feels like sitting down with an old friend who has wonderful tales to tell. 

My rating: 3 nostalgicas estrellas




I was lucky. I had the opportunity to watch old reruns of Carol Burnett 's show on tv. I don't remeber a particular thing about it, but my mom and I used to watch her, and have fond memories of her. I very much doubt that the new generations know her though. Pity. I still marvel how incredible talented were the old artists. They could act, sing, dance... amazing. To make people laugh is incredible hard. A lot of my friends are artists - musicians, dancers, but comedian? that's hard.

If you are looking for sob stories or juicy details personals details, this is not your book. It's more anecdotal than biographical. She talks about her early years, since Broadway to tv, movies, and many, many, artists, comedians, and singers, writters, and colleagues. And her friends, and some litle bits about her family and daughters.

For example, asking help from Eddie Foy Jr, dripping wet , wearing different galoshes.

EDDIE: You sing?
ME: Kind of ... I'm pretty loud.
EDDIE: Dance?
ME: I can jitterbug.
EDDIE: Well, maybe I could get you an audition here for a chorus replacement.
ME: But I don't read music, and I really can't dance.
EDDIE: (eyeing his dressing room, wiping his neck with the towel) Okay, you can't read music and you can't dance. Then ... what?
ME: Well, I'm not good enough for the chorus, so I guess I'll have to have a featured role.
There was a long pause before he gave me the phone number of his agent, wished me luck, and made a beeline for his dressing room. The fact that he didn't laugh me right out of the theater proves the point that Eddie Foy was, indeed, a helluva swell guy.


One famous name after the other appears in the book. Some really sorprising for me at least like Julie Andrews (a pratical joker!), Joan Crawford, and Lucille Ball, and Jimmy Stewart and Walter Mattheau, and Bernadette Peters, and litle stories about show business .


But, it's not really what I was looking for.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Es una pena que este estilo de humor de comedia que podia ser visto por toda la familia se haya perdido. Lo último que se vio en mi país fue lo que hacian los de "Jappening con Ja". Y las fantabulosas Gloria Benavides y Maitén Montenegro. No saben de lo que se perdieron, y lo poco que las aprecian.


No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario